In September 2015 Airship Syndicate launched a very successful Kickstarter for their new JRPG Battle Chasers: Nightwar. After only a few days the campaign had reached full fan funding and made its way onto Steam. What can we expect from this new RPG?
Inspired by great console RPGs like Final Fantasy, Suikoden or Chrono Cross, the game will turn out as a classic turn-based combat RPG with „trap filled dungeons, tons of secrets, some fun storytelling and of course a bounty full of loot and items to find and collect,“ according to its developers. Battle Chasers is created by ex-Vigil Games veterans, including two of Vigil’s co-founders, Joe Madureira and Ryan Stefanelli. It will be playable on PC, Mac, Xbox One and Playstation 4.
Freshly released screenshots and Kickstarter video footage present a fantastic visual adventure game strongly inspired by Joe Madureira’s famous fantasy comic art style.
Moving rooms, great monsters, hideous traps, treasures, secrets, weapons, puzzle elements, resources and much more – this game promises to have it all.
The turn-based combat in Battle Chasers will have three major features: a Dual Mana system, an Active Initiative Bar with random buffs and debuffs and momentum-shifting super attacks called Battle Surges.
Here are some of the game’s features as announced on Steam:
- You will need a good plan for survival: To fulfill your quest, you can choose three of the heroes you’ve unlocked. Choose items from your stash and load them into your travel backpack to have the best equipment and abilities for each hero before you strike out
- A fantastic overworld awaits and is full of hidden dungeons, rare bosses and randomly appearing characters
- The game’s old-school combat has been inspired by some great console RPGs
- A unique two-tiered mana system and turn-based initiative features random buffs and debuffs
- Randomly-generated dungeons are action oriented and full of traps, puzzles and secrets
- Each hero has some unique dungeon skills that will help your team of three to survive!
- The non-linear story is driven by the discovery of lore on items, landmarks and secret elements in the world
- Discovering new wisdom will provide deeper insight into the mysterious Lost Vale
- Lore points are your reward. You can use them to upgrade the various heroes‘ abilities
- Key story moments are depicted in gorgeous, traditional 2D animation / cut scenes from Powerhouse Animation Studios